Curriculum for Wales
In September 2022, all schools in Wales will operated under a new Curriculum for Wales. The curriculum will still ensure that all children acquire the essential skills in reading, writing, oracy and mathematics. It will still ensure that all children become the best that they can be so that they can lives fulfilling lives as they grow into adulthood.
The Four Core Purposes form the basis of the new curriculum and underpin all teaching and learning. These statements outline what all children will be when they leave school:
- Ambitious, capable learners who are ready to learn throughout their lives.
- Enterprising, creative contributors who are ready to play a part in life and work.
- Ethical, informed citizens who are ready to be citizens of Wales and the world.
- Healthy, confident individuals who are ready to lead fulfilling lives as valued members of society.
The curriculum content will be learned through Areas of Learning and Experience. Within each AOLE, there will be essential skills and experiences that need to be taught in order to ensure children receive a balanced education. These are the 'What Matters' statements.
Areas of Learning and Experience
- Expressive Arts
- Health and Wellbeing
- Languages, Literacy and Communication
- Mathematics and Numeracy
- Science and Technology